Pinterest is one of the fastest-growing social media sites, right up there with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. With about 28% of internet users on Pinterest in 2014, you can’t ignore this social media platform. Pinterest is a great way to promote your business online, no matter what you sell.
What makes Pinterest unique is its visual aspect. You create, organize, and manage your own boards with images that relate to your business. Although visual in nature, these “pins” can be videos, bits of text, infographics, or other things besides images. Any kind of content works, but it’s the presentation of the content that makes the difference.
What Pinterest Can Do for Your Business
There are 4 ways Pinterest can help your business:
- Traffic — Your pinned content is not just seen by friends and followers, but boards can appear in search engine results. This gives the whole world access to your work.
- SEO Benefits — Using Pinterest also has SEO benefits for your site. Similar to backlinks from Facebook and Twitter, backlinks from your Pinterest boards help raise your rank in search engines. The human traffic you’ll get will help as well.
- Lead-capturing Tool — If used correctly, Pinterest can be a highly effective lead-capturing tool. When visitors click the links leading directly to your website, you can have an opt-in form for them to join your list.
- Build Your Brand — Your profile communicates your brand message and your pins show what you’re all about. It’s not just about promoting and selling, but showing people what your business is all about and interacting with them in a different way.
Signing Up For a Business Account
As a business, you’ll want to take full advantage of Pinterest’s Business accounts. To sign up, simply go to www.pinterest.com. Enter your name and email address in the form and then click ‘Sign Up’ when you’re ready.
On the next page you’ll see ‘Continue as a Business’ at the bottom of the form. Click here to move on to the next step where you’ll need to start entering your business information.
On the next few pages make sure you enter as accurate information as possible.
Converting to a Business Account
If you already have a Pinterest account and want to take advantage of the extra features that the Business accounts offer, it’s easy to switch over.
Make sure you’re logged into your account and go to Pinterest for Business. Then, all you need to do is hit ‘Convert Now’ to input your information and get started!
Verifying Your Website
In order to get access to Pinterest’s business analytics and a few other features, you’ll need to verify your website.
To do this, go to your account main page and click on ‘Edit Profile’. Next to your website address, you’ll see ‘Verify’. After clicking on that, a pop-up window with instructions will appear. Select ‘Download the html verification file’.
You’re going to need to upload this file to the root directory of your website. You can do this via FTP or CPanel. Once you’ve done this, return to your Pinterest profile and hit ‘Click here to complete process’. You should then get a verification message to let you know that everything works.
If you have any problems with verification, check out Pinterest’s ‘Help Center’.
What have been your challenges with Pinterest? What are some of the other Tips you’d like to learn about using Pinterest for your Blog or Business?
* This post may include affiliate links and/or sponsored content. By clicking on those links you are helping to support this blog. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” You can read more in our Disclosure Policy.