Time for a backcountry exploration trip? Well, in order to ensure the trip is an exciting and safe one, here are ten hiking essentials to ensure a successful adventure.
1. Make sure you bring a compass with you. If you should get lost in the woods, you will need this to help find your way back out and away from the wooded areas.
2. Bring along a map so that you can be sure you are hiking on the right track.
3. Check the weather before you leave. If appropriate, bring along raingear for the family just in case there is inclement weather.
4. Bring along extra clothing. This is especially important if the trail you are hiking on turns muddy, or if you tear a shirt or pants walking through the wooded area.
5. Bring a first aid kit. Ensure it has bandages, ointments, antihistamine for allergies, anti-inflammatory creams for rashes, sunscreen, hats, tweezers, antiseptic wipes, bug spray, and any other medications your family is currently using.
6. Bring along plenty of snacks and juices as well as water.
7. In cases of emergency, you want to be able to reach someone – bring a cell phone and a whistle.
8. If you plan to camp out overnight, bring the appropriate camping gear as well as a flashlight, blankets, and other items necessary to stay comfortable outdoors.
9. Bring along jackets or some type of insulated clothing for the cool evening hours, as well as extra socks.
10. Take along a multi-purpose knife along with duct tape and zip ties. These can help in repairing gear.
Familiarize yourself with the area so that you know what to expect. While there may be times things may occur that you didn’t anticipate, be prepared for any situation that arises.