With the economy in a deep recession, many individuals are trying to find alternative ways to vacation this year. One method that has risen in popularity is house swapping.
What does this entail? Basically, you sign up with a home exchange website and list your home as available for the specific period in which you wish to travel. For example, Home Exchange allows you to select a listing from any state or country. After you’ve selected the destination desired, you can send an email to the listing from the Home Exchange website.
While there are other websites that offer you similar opportunities, bear in mind that Home Exchange has been in business for fourteen years and has never encountered a serious problem with the home swappers.
Obviously, there are pros and cons in applying for this type of service. Let’s review what they are.
* In lieu of hotel accommodations, meals, and other expenses, home swapping yields substantial savings.
* It allows you to find home exchanges anywhere in the world.
* Depending upon your location, you may receive several inquiries from home exchange members.
* Swapping homes with other families who have children offers added convenience because they will most likely have games and toys for your children to play with.
* Unintentional damage to your home.
* Cancellations at the last minute.
* Some insurance policies may not cover loss or damage, especially if the people staying in your home are invited guests.
While both you and the family you swap houses with may have similar concerns, there are many things you can do to lessen the angst. You can list your specific concerns before you make the exchange. For example, if you have a home office you can deem it off limits to the family.
On the other hand, your friends and neighbors can always check in on the family staying at your home to ensure that everything is going smoothly. Keep in mind, too, that if your home is in a great location, the family staying there will likely be spending most of their time touring. It is doubtful they would want to exchange merely to stay indoors every day.
Typically, home exchanges average one to two weeks in the US and one to three weeks overseas.
Frankly, this is an exceptional service that is highly touted as a new vehicle for families who wish to travel but need to keep costs at a minimum.