Statistics have shown that over 40% of children are hurt each year due to firework injuries, with over 60% of these injuries occurring on the 4th of July. Here are 15 tips on firework injuries: how to prevent them.
1. Supervise your children around fireworks. I can’t stress this one enough!
2. Check with local officials about firework rules and regulations.
3. Keep pets indoors. For their safety and protection, it’s best to leave the smallest members of the family inside.
4. Wear protective goggles when handling fireworks.
5. Do not use matches or a lighter to set off the fireworks, but use a taper instead.
6. Do not use any bottles or metal containers to set off firecrackers or rockets.
7. Never stand over the rocket or other firework you are about to set off.
8. After a firework has been lit, stand at a safe distance. If it doesn’t go off, do not attempt to pick it up, as it may not be the dud you think it is.
9. Do not allow children to pick up any fireworks from the ground. Some may not have exploded and can be dangerous.
10. If you are planning a fireworks display in your yard or in front of your home, make sure that your family and other neighbors are at least 500 feet away from the action point.
11. Sparklers should not be given to children under the age of five.
12. Always light one firework at a time. Never try to experiment with several different fireworks at the same time.
13. Ensure the rocket you are setting off is secure and will go straight up.
14. Avoid using cherry bombs.
Finally, it is a statistical fact that about 25% of bystanders have been harmed during a fireworks display. To avoid this, the best recommendation is to attend a professional fireworks event in your city. It is a completely controlled environment and steps are taken to ensure the general public is safe and can thoroughly enjoy the show.
Many states have outlawed the use of fireworks by individuals. This is a good thing. But if it is legal in your state, adhere to the strict guidelines for firework use so that the evening’s event will be a safe and enjoyable one.